It’s that time again for the big game, or for me, time to watch the funniest commercials of the year! The last thing I want to do is miss out on the memorable commercials because I’m in the kitchen trying to stir up something to eat. Enter the long standing tradition in my family, chili and cornbread on Super Bowl Sunday, the perfect dish to stir up and let simmer while you catch all the ads that your coworkers will be talking about on Monday.
This is a spicier and leaner version of the standard beef chili that my mom made every year on that one rare occasion when we were actually allowed to eat in front of the TV as kids!
Chipotle Turkey Chili with Skillet Cornbread
Chipotle Turkey Chili:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced plus 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded sharp cheddar, for serving
Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and bell peppers to pot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic to the pot and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Add the ground turkey to the pot and cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain off excess fat from pot.
Combine the chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, and pepper flakes in a small mixing bowl. Add the spice mixture to the pot and stir well to coat the ground turkey.
Add the beans, tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, tomato sauce, and green chilies. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let the chili simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip up a bowl of chili and top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white/yellow corn meal
- 1 cup 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow corn
- Butter, for serving
Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a medium cast iron skillet with unsalted butter.
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in corn meal.
Place the eggs, milk, and oil in another large mixing bowl and blend until combined.
Add the dry ingredients and the corn to the egg mixture. Stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Pour batter into the cast iron skillet until 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is brown. Let the corn bread cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve cornbread with butter and enjoy!