Summer is grilling season for sure, but it’s also picnic and cookout season which means you might want to cook up something other than burgers and hot dogs. This pulled pork is a great go-to dish that is easy to make, packed with flavor, and gives your cookout another great option to put on that burger bun. Adding this homemade barbecue sauce to the mix takes the pulled pork to another level!
Chipotle Honey Barbecue Pulled Pork
Chipotle Honey Barbecue Sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 lemon slices
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot or sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cayenne red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) boneless pork roast, excess fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Gouda cheese, sliced for serving
- Sandwich rolls for serving
For the chipotle honey barbecue sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often for 5 minutes. Remove the lemon slices and set sauce aside for later, you can refrigerate and keep the sauce for up to 2 weeks!
For the pork roast, combine the brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Cover the pork roast with the rub on all sides.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Sear the pork roast on each side until there is a slight char, about 1-2 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, pour half of the chipotle honey barbecue sauce into a crockpot over low heat. Add the seared pork roast to the crockpot, cover and let cook on low for 8 hours. After the pork cooks thoroughly, the roast should easily fall apart with a fork.
Slice sandwich roll and top with pulled pork. Top the sandwich with gouda cheese and chipotle honey barbecue sauce, enjoy!